In Spain and also in Catalonia, women have the possibility to give birth at home with a midwife or in a birth center.
GIVING BIRTH AT HOME:
In 2010, the Barcelona Nurse Association published the guide « Part a casa » (Giving birth at home) in order to unify the criteria in relation to home birth.
To be able to give birth at home you basically need:
- To meet a specialized midwife before week 28 in pregnancy.
- It is essential to have a low risk pregnancy, meaning that you must be pregnant with only one baby in cephalic position (head down).
- To present your midwife with all ultrasounds and tests.
- To sign a document giving your informed consent as a couple.
- The birth at home only will be possible between weeks 37 to 42.
Here are some related links:
Birth centers are places that allow you to give birth in a more “natural” way than in a hospital. They try to create an atmosphere of intimacy whilst having all materials and specialized personnel needed for the birth.
These houses are located close to a hospital in case of emergency. There is none at present in Barcelona: